If you were injured as a result of an attack on someone else’s premises, property owners may face consequences for failing to provide adequate safety features. The term “negligent security” is used to describe a type of legal claim that prosecutes property owners or managers for creating environments that attract criminal activity.
At Wagner & Wagner, our Tennessee and associated Georgia premises liability lawyers have extensive experience handling these types of cases, and we understand what type of evidence is needed to secure a substantial settlement from responsible parties. We have the resources and means to perform thorough investigations regarding each negligent security case.
NEGLIGENT SECURITY EXAMPLES
Here are some examples of situations that a can encourage assault and may be prosecuted as a negligent security case:
- Poor lighting, broken lights, or burned-out bulbs
- Broken or weak locks on residential units
- Broken or distressed window locks
- Unsecured doors or door frames
- Broken windows
- Holes in fencing
- Defective security gates
- Poorly trained security staff
- Shady hiring practices for security, maintenance, managers, and other staff
- Failure to change the locks between tenants, or control the keys
- Failure to provide full-time security guards as promised in lease agreements
- Failure to warn the public of increases in criminal activity or other dangerous conditions
- Negligent or incompetent security personnel
PROVING NEGLIGENT SECURITY
Negligent security claims may be made against apartment, townhome, or condo owners, retail stores, mall property and parking structures, places of employment, and other locations where criminal attacks occur. To show that the owner or manager was negligent, we often use case study examples to illustrate what reasonable measures others have taken, and to demonstrate how inaction led to the criminal activity and, consequently, the severe injuries of innocent people. In many cases, apartment developments will promise a variety of security measures, only to fall short.
We delve deep into the company’s background to show how corners were cut. We work with security experts and medical specialists to assign a monetary figure to your injuries, and then fight aggressively to get your family fair compensation. Our team has been working with assault and rape victims for more than 65 years, and we would consider it an honor to represent your claim.
If you would like to learn more about negligent security laws and your right to compensation after an attack or accident, please contact Wagner & Wagner as soon as possible. Our Tennessee and associated Georgia negligent security lawyers are more than happy to meet with you and discuss your case at no charge.